Mountaineers Win Double-OT Thriller on the Road

Mountaineers Win Double-OT Thriller on the Road

Leah Gibson, Sports Information Assistant 



Score: Berea 3, Huntingdon 2

Record: Berea (4-11), (1-8 USAS), Huntingdon (5-7), (2-6 USAS)


Montgomery, AL

The Berea College Men's soccer team celebrated a win over the Huntingdon Hawks after a double overtime battle that ended with a score of 3-2. This win means the end of a losing streak for the Mountaineers, and a new overall record of 4-11.

The Mountaineers and Hawks came determined to win in the first half, with Berea's Moses Lian earning the first goal of the day at the 12:07 mark, assisted by Junior Gyamfi. The Hawks then fought back and gained two more goals, leaving the score at the end of the half at 2-1. Mountaineer goalie Noah DeHart had 5 saves in the first half, and Huntingdon's Zack Moenter had 4. The Mountaineers attempted 10 shots, while Huntingdon attempted 12.

Ten minutes into the second half, Berea evened up the score with a goal by Junior Gyamfi as a result of a penalty kick. It was his fourth goal of the season and tied the game up 2-2, putting pressure on the Hawks and giving the Mountaineers the boost they needed to snag a win. Huntingdon brought on the pressure with several shot attempts, but the Mountaineers were ready to defend their goal, leaving no room for a successful shot by the Hawks. Berea also made several other shot attempts, but the Hawks were playing their best game as well. The second half resulted in a tie game, taking the Mountaineers and the Hawks into their first overtime.

In the first overtime, both teams were determined to win, with Huntingdon making the first attempt at a goal, which was saved by goalie Noah DeHart. Berea's Kingsley Basoah made the first attempt for Berea, but goalie Zach Moenter shut it down. Each team battled it out with one more attempt at a goal, but time ran out and led the game into a second overtime.

Second overtime began, and the pressure was on for both teams. Huntingdon made two attempts at a goal, both of which were wide. Finally, at the 107 minute mark, Berea's Max Jr. dribbled down the left side and beat the goalie, scoring his sixth goal for the season and winning the game 3-2 for the Mountaineers.

The Men will be back in action Saturday, October 13, as they will take on N.C. Wesleyan. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 P.M.